Saturday, October 30, 2010

Yarn-Bombing - Coming to a Community Near You

A quick thought about the art in everyday life...
Photo by Ashley McDonald

At about this time last year I read a really interesting article in the Toronto Star.  It talked about this new artistic phenomena that was ambushing  cities across North America, and I was enthralled.  It was called: "Yarnbombing".  

Yarnbomb verb. To gently fasten knitted and crocheted works to public surfaces as cozy, impermanent graffiti: The kindergarten teacher yarnbombed a pole in the park with a stocking stitch in shades of blue and green.

What a fantastic idea!  Just imagine it:  You're walking down the street on a chilly autumn afternoon, when you notice a bare pole, bar or other inanimate object with a cozy sweater knit onto it.  Suddenly, this otherwise normal and forgotten piece of the landscape is brought to life.  It makes you stop and reevaluate your surroundings, makes the less than memorable journey you intended on embarking on an exciting hunt for handmade treasure.

Photo by Ashley McDonald
Waterloo has been hit, and I couldn't be happier.  The city that I'm often harping on for not having any visual appeal suddenly has become a hotbed for knitted fashion, and not just on the citizens.  This array of knitted art has beautified the neighbourhood and has brought light to the art of textile creation.  

Since reading the newsarticle last fall I have become a bit of a knitter myself.  Nothing spectacular, but it's something that I find is a great stress outlet and is a challenge (not to mention it's really practical, I'm never going to have an excuse for a new scarf).  Being a beginner, I'm aware of how long it takes to knit a few rows.  Now imagine kitting a massive sweater for a telephone pole!  That is some serious dedication.  I love that a team of knitters are joining together to create a tactile art installation throughout the city, and I wish that I was among them.  Not only are you bonding with your fellow yarnbombers, you're touching the lives of so many people in your community through your strategically placed work.  

I thank the local yarnbomb team for opening up my eyes to the small wonders of daily life.  Would I have normally thought that a lamppost was an appealing partner for a hug?  Definitely not.  But with a cozy sweater there was no question I was going to stop and give it some love, and reflect on it's purpose.  I thought about the feeling of the yarn against my skin, the absurd nature of it's location, and how lucky I was to have streetlights at night in my community.  The safety I felt in that moment was amazing, and I thank you, mysterious knitters for a memorable moment in an everyday outdoor jaunt. 



Interested in joining the yarnbomb team?  So am I.  Check out their Facebook Info Page and maybe we can help on the next bombing-expedition! 

No comments:

Post a Comment