Monday, October 11, 2010

WeeTube: Owning Up To Your Online Persona


WeeTube
Starring James Long and Maiko Bae Yamamoto

Photo by Tim Matheson
            I’ve never been one to watch a lot of YouTube videos, so when I was given the opportunity to watch Theatre Replacement’s “WeeTube” I thought that I might not relate to a piece that so heavily relies on YouTube material.  Surprisingly, I was wrong. Vancouver-based Theatre Replacement initially produced “WeeTube” in 2008 but has been touring it worldwide ever since.  It isn’t being produced here in Ontario, so I was lucky enough to have viewed the performance on videotape. 
            The performances begin with the audience watching a short YouTube video on a projected screen.  The actors, James Long and Maiko Bae Yamamoto, explain that after the video has completed they will act out an ordinary scenario but their text will be the comments that were written on the video at the time of the performance.  With these remarks fed through iPods, the actors go about their activities casually commenting on what they had just seen.  It’s a clever idea that is successfully delivered with lightheartedness but also comments strongly on society.
            Presented in four different scenarios Yamamoto and Long reflect on the clips while going about normal activities including baking cookies, gathering around the microwave for popcorn after work, opening Christmas gifts or getting dressed to go out.  I must admit, the absurdity of their actions juxtaposed with the text they were saying was hilarious.  The straightforwardness of the concept along with the naturalistic acting styles of two relatively laid-back characters made the production seem effortless.    
            In vocalizing the written comments, “WeeTube” puts the poor grammar, lazy short form, small vocabulary and excessive swearing of online communication out in the open.  It’s hard to think of a time when I haven’t included “LOL” in a text or a chat conversation, but when it is said multiple times in a theatre production as “L-O-L” it becomes clear how horrible it sounds.  Has society really gotten this lazy that we can’t articulate intelligent thoughts online?  Our vocabulary seems to be shrinking, and online commenting and chatting illustrates how uneducated we sound. 
            After the final YouTube clip of two Pandas, the comments made a turn for the worst.  They  began as light and fluffy, full of LOL’s, but soon became hostile.  An argument began between the online personas over a small disagreement about miniscule details of the clip.  In presenting this as dialogue I believe that “WeeTube” asks audiences to question the power of their anonymity online.  Few people would be commenting in such a foul fashion if they had to say it face to face with someone.  Instead, the anonymity allows for a barrier-free forum where hurtful comments and language are thrown around.
            Theatre Replacement has created a unique and exciting production that is extremely relevant in today’s society.  Viewing it on video probably didn’t highlight the production elements of the performance, but the simplicity that I experienced was welcome.  Having less on stage meant that there was less competition for attention and the focus could easily be brought to the actors.  It is hard to believe that Long and Yamamoto are being fed the dialogue through their iPods and that aside from the physical movements their performances are not rehearsed.  This quasi-improvisation is a tough task that the two actors perform seamlessly.  
            If you’re interested in getting a small sense of what the “WeeTube” experience is about, I suggest you visit http://vimeo.com/12833610.  Theatre Replacement has posted a succinct promotional clip and it will likely leave you wanting more. 
            Having said that I’m not a big YouTube participant, did “WeeTube” change my outlook?  Perhaps.  I now realize how stupid people can sound online, and the importance of writing things that I would be proud to have said aloud.  It’s easy to coward behind the anonymity of an online persona.  Not only did “WeeTube” have me rethinking societal norms online and how it affects my life, the production was fun to experience.
            In keeping with the message of the play I will openly sign off this installment knowing that these thoughts are my own and that I’d repeat them to you any day, any time and not feel ashamed.  Now if only the rest of the online society could do the same.   

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I had a whole comment written and then the internet crashed. Curse you internet!
    Anyways, what I was saying was that I really liked your comment about how LOL has made its way into our everyday life. And not just LOL but BRB, OMG, WTF and many more. My concern comes from when these phrases make their way into professional environments. I hate seeing an online work memo with LOL or PLS or IDK in it. What ever happened to taking time to show some effort? I love using that language in social situations but using it at work might be too much.
    I love your Blogs! I can't wait for the next one : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree whole heartedly about society losing the ability to communicate without using short cuts and that we are losing vocabulary.Words that can convey actual feeling and succintly express are wondeful. I have a dictionary application on my blackberry and I use it when reading all the time. I wonder how many others do as well. I really enjoy your writing, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete